22 January 2007

Pigeon on a stick

That wasn't chicken that Josh and I ate out on the corner by the subway many times last year. Gena, my Canadian coworker, informed me of this last week. To make sure, I checked with Korean friend Gil. "Yes, it is pigeon; street food is not good for you," he says, ordering from an outdoor avenue stand a plate of boiled pig-intestine filled with noodles and blood, along with some pieces of pig lung. I speared a couple of pieces and ingested them.

If several other people are willing to eat it and call it food, I'll allow at least some into my belly. My belly might get angry, however; if not then maybe someplace else in my digestive system. It's a bit of a game, where winning doesn't mean much and where losing means several days of physical anguish and/or death. Though, I think I'll put the fish bologna and pig tripe ahead of the pigeon. I ate enough winged, vomit-eating rats last year.

No comments: